Is your home ready for the winter ahead?
It's that time of year again, soon brisk mornings and falling leaves will be upon us. There are plenty of great things to love about fall including the plethora of pumpkin baked goods but did you know now is also the perfect time to prepare your home for the winter ahead? Here are a few ideas on how to prepare:
1. Perform furnace maintenance - Hire a HVAC contractor to preform an annual check on your furnace. They can check for leaks and replace the filters. You may also want to have your ducts cleaned and check your home for drafts.
2. Check your smoke / carbon monoxide detectors - change the batteries on your smoke / carbon monoxide detectors and perform a test via the button on them to make sure they work.
3. Have your fireplace and or chimney cleaned. - Soot buildup can lead to a fire or smoke damage claim. Having your fireplace or chimney cleaned regularly can reduce this risk.
4. Clean your gutters of any debris - by cleaning out your gutters, you can reduce the risk of ice causing damage to your roof.
5. Unhook hoses and put them away. Leaving your hose hooked to the outside faucet can lead to the pipe freezing and breaking in your walls.
6. Visually inspect your roof for any loose or damaged singles. Contact a roofing contractor if you see any spots that look damaged. It is easier and less costly to fix a problem before it turns into a leak in the winter.